2012/04/08

Free from the tyranny of bottles

Well not really.

But sure. I got a dual keg setup from Midwest Supply (this one, to be exact), and I've just kegged up my first batch - the Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Of course, you're all invited to come over and enjoy it with me.

(The 'Double' is from the half pound of Theo's Chocolates roasted cocoa nibs I added to the fermenter. More on that maybe later.)

The kegs came in better than expected shape, based on the reviews from the store's site. I went to Central Welding Supply in Lynnwood and got the 5# CO2 canister replaced with a full one for < $14. I was amused that I finally had to buy something that had a hazmat charge associated with it.


I'm still using B-Brite for my sanitization. I'm probably going to replace it with a no-rinse solution, like Star-San. But for right now this will do. I checked for leaks in my dual regulator and keg, rinsed it after pressurization with the B-Brite, and then filled it up. It's currently sitting in my garage at just under 30 psi waiting for the stout to absorb enough CO2 for it to be fun. I tasted the stout that I pulled for the hydrometer reading for FG, and it was a nice roasted dark chocolate flavor to it. Will probably overrule some of the oatmeal flavor, but I'll still get that nice mouthfeel.


Hopefully by midweek everything will be ready to consume. I'll still keep bottles around for beers that will benefit from bottle conditioning, such as sours and old ales (which I will be making once a year, a Berliner weisse and an English Old Ale for the wife and youngest daughter, respectively). But the upside is I'm switching to 100% 22oz Bombers for those brews. Maybe the title should be changed to 'Free from the tyranny of 12oz bottles' instead.

I'll be dropping The Shorty into the second keg in a few weeks - maybe 5-6 more, since it needs to lager longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment