2012/03/10

Double De-What-tion?

Today I'm brewing up a Baltic Porter. Doesn't matter that it's high gravity, or that I'm using lager yeast for the first time (even though it won't go through a lagering period) - I'm still going to add another variable to make the outcome uncertain:

I'm going to do a double decoction mash.

The guy at the brew store was pretty adamant against my doing it. Actually, he was adamant against my need to do it. I had to tell him at least three times that I knew I didn't have to do it, but that I WANTED to do it. It's a more involved process, and it's an historical process, which will give me a better understanding of how the mash process works. I WANT to do it. It should be fun. It should also take about twice as long.

I did a bunch of reading (mostly from John Palmer's How to Brew), and watched a few videos, getting the most information out of this guy:

So now I'm working on a bunch of equations in order to get my schedule figured out. I'll post my mash schedule here after I've had a chance to taste the final product and let you know if it was worth it. What am I hoping to get out of this aside from the knowledge and experience?
  • I should increase extract efficiency beyond the standard homebrew 70%,
  • It should add a bunch of Maillard reaction flavors and colors, and
  • Overall we should see a more intense flavor and mouthfeel.
The grains I'm using aren't undermodified, so hypothetically speaking none of the above will actually happen, but I guess we'll see. I have a target OG of 1.083, and my system's been running a few points under that on high gravity mashes, so we'll see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment